Not only does is this salad extremely simple to make, but it also combines a whole variety of tastes and flavors to create a refreshing dish. This recipe can also serve as a easily made on-the-go lunch; it is light yet filling, the contents can stay fresh for extended periods of time, and it contains nutrients that are essential for a healthy, balanced diet.
Tomatoes contain essential antioxidants, whilst the onions contain a high amount of Vitamin B6. The salmon provide a good source of protein, omega 3, and the recipe can be adapted to be made vegan and still balanced by ommitting the salmon, as the chickpeas still also contain high amounts of protein.
Not only is this a healthy meal, but with the acidity of the lemon contrasting the freshness of the tomatoes. the wonderful taste of the salmon, all topped off with the fragrance of the fresh basil and dill… What could go wrong?
Salmon and Chickpea Salad (Serves 2)
- 1 salmon fillet (can be either fresh or frozen)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8-9 cherry tomatoes, diced
- handful chopped dill
- handful chopped basil
- 1 1/2 arugula (rocket) leaves
- 1/8 cup chickpeas, raw
- Preheat the oven to 180C and soak the chickpeas in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and cover with dijon mustard.
- Roast on a lined baking tray for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to rest, then flake.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, then add the chickpeas. Cook until the are cooked but still crunchy, around 15 minutes.
- To assemble, toss the onion, tomatoes, dill, basil, chickpeas, arugula leaves and lemon juice together, then scatter the salmon around the salad before serving.